The Dryden Observer

Your Source for Dryden News

City lobbying for provincial funding reform

Chris Marchand

Chris Marchand served as editor of the Dryden Observer from August 2009 to April 2018.

By Dryden Observer Staff

Dryden City Council has requested the Kenora District Municipal Association seek support from NOMA and AMO to lobby the Ontario Government to transition all municipal transfer payments across the Province to a formula based model after the next Provincial election. 

The issue stems from what Mayor Wilson says is the Province not treating municipalities equitably when it comes to annual transfer payments because the annual OMPF (Ontario Municipal Partnership Fund) transfer payments have been declining steadily for the last five years in the area.

The Province describes the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund as a program that offers a permanent and predictable infrastructure-funding model; yet Wilson argues only 56 per cent of it is allocated by formula while the other 44 per cent is by application. This formula process is complicating local budgeting process significantly each year he said.

The request for a formula based model argues that it would save millions of dollars per year, as it would require less man power hours to calculate and implement the process at both the municipal and provincial level.

The request also states that it would introduce fairness in the way the Province treats each municipality, reducing the amount of politics that goes into the decision making process. Transfer dollar distributions would be based on Ontario’s total annual transfer budget instead of political motivations that factor in which politician or municipality can deliver the most riding votes to presiding governments.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.