Sports & Recreation — 21 February 2018
Three OT games in three days for Ice Dogs

Ted Davis fights off the Thief River Falls Norskies defence on Saturday afternoon in Dryden. Photo by By Michael Christianson

By Dryden Observer Staff

It was a busy Family Day weekend for the Dryden GM Ice Dogs.

The boys started their three games in three days in Fort Frances on Sunday to face the Lakers.

Adam Withers scored just over a minute into the frame to open the scoring but Jacen Bracko answered back for the Ice Dogs a few minutes later.

With under five minutes left in the opening frame Christians Ward got another goal for the Lakers. Eric Stout managed to tie the game with one second left in the period on a power play.

The next two periods saw the same formula. In the second Withers scored early in the period and Stout scored later to tie it. 

In the third period Nick Lucas scored less than a minute into the frame and Matthew Pitchenese scored with less than three minutes left to tie it and force extra time.

Evan Walls got past Ismael Ralsten in overtime to secure an Ice Dogs win.

On Sunday afternoon the Dryden GM Ice Dogs hosted the Thief River Falls Norskies.

The Dogs could not find the back of the net in the first period but the Norskies scored twice from Cody Aarvig and Parker Simonson.

In the second period Evan Walls got the Dogs on the board just over five minutes into the frame. 

Michael Johnson scored for the Norskies on a power play but Ted Davis and Bracko each got a power play goal 18 second apart to tie the game at three a piece. 

In the third period Pete Grytdahl got the Norskies back ahead but Barcko’s power play goal once again put the Ice Dogs into overtime. 

In overtime Kris Hamlin beat Bailey Schmitz unassisted.

Finally on Family Day the Dogs hosted the Thunder Bay North Stars who recently went on a 13 game win streak.

Conner Mowatt got the Ice Dogs on the board but Ryan Mignault tied it 33 second later.

In the second period Thunder Bay got two unanswered goals from Keighan Gerrie and Kyle Auger. Dryden did answer back hard with two short handed goals from Walls and Eric Stout.

The third period saw an early goal from Bracko but Bradley Thrower scored a power play goal to tie the game. It would remain 3-3 for the rest of the frame and force extra time for the third time in three games.

No goals in overtime lead to a shootout that saw Landon Pavlisin stop all three shots he faced and Bracko scored the game winning shootout goal.

Dryden is back on the road for three games in Minnesota next week.


Related Articles

About Author

Chris Marchand is a native of Dryden, Ontario. He served his first newspaper internship at The Dryden Observer in 1998 while attending journalism studies at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops B.C. He's worked desks as both reporter and editor at the Fernie Free Press as well as filled the role of sports editor at the Cranbrook Daily Townsman. Marchand was named editor of the Dryden Observer in Aug. 2009.

(0) Readers Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Connect with Facebook